Biosafety OfficerJob ID 160676BR Date posted 10/14/2021
- Rochester, Minnesota
- Full Time
Mayo Clinic is the nation's best hospital (U.S. News & World Report, 2020-2021) and ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. We have a vast array of opportunities ranging from Nursing, Clinical, to Finance, IT, Administrative, Research and Support Services to name a few. Across all locations, you’ll find career opportunities that support diversity, equity and inclusion. At Mayo Clinic, we invest in you with opportunities for growth and development and our benefits and compensation package are highly competitive. We invite you to be a part of our team where you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and most importantly, a life-changing career!
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
- The Biosafety Officer is responsible for the development, continuous improvement, and implementation of the biosafety, biocontainment, and biosecurity program for the Mayo Clinic Enterprise.
- Provides expert technical consultation and helps ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory requirements for laboratory and animal biocontainment levels.
- Communicates directly with all federal, state, and local biosafety regulatory agencies and interprets new and changing regulatory issues.
- Acts as a thought-leader to generate creative ideas and suggestions to improve systems, processes, and service; develops and implements new policies and procedures; evaluates established procedures and educational programs for effectiveness.
- Must be able to develop, conduct, and facilitate safety audits and perform hazard assessments, including the interpretation of results and facilitate implementation of solutions.
- Assists in the interpretation of root-cause analysis investigations and coordinates external reporting in a manner consistent with regulatory guidelines. Able to analyze and interpret data and participates in decisions regarding data validity and conclusions.
- Is the primary consultant for high containment laboratories and high volume production laboratories utilizing biohazardous materials across Mayo Clinic.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality of information.
- Requires Master’s degree in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience related to the accountabilities of the position OR
- Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or related field with a minimum 7 years of experience directly related to the accountabilities of the position.
- Healthcare experience and CBSP preferred.
- Working knowledge of research laboratory processes, equipment, and facilities.
- Must be able to efficiently communicate complex technical issues, including the design of independent projects, data analysis, and resulting interpretations, to diverse clients.
- Must have ability to organize and implement procedures/techniques independently.
- Must have significant technical knowledge, understanding of regulations, ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in written materials, and ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to a changing work environment that requires upgrading of skills on a regular basis is required.
- Must have established presentation and training skills and be capable of demonstrating and exhibiting positive customer service skills.
- Must have the ability to coach diverse clients and colleagues through change management initiatives and possess the ability to secure client support.
- Must have working knowledge of PC and ability to use routine computer software packages (word processing, spreadsheets, and databases).
- Should have experience working in or supporting a BSL3 or higher program.
License or certification
- A Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP) is required within two years of hire.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
Hours / Pay period
M-F and available as necessary
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.
Join our talent community.
Join our global talent community to receive alerts when new life-changing opportunities become available.
If you want to know what it's really like at Mayo Clinic, just ask. You'll find that our pride–in where we work, and in what we do–is a common trait. You will also find a lot of inspiring stories about lives changed for the better.
Nurse Training Programs
The Nurse Residency Program at Mayo Clinic Health System Northwest Wisconsin is a year-long education program that provides you an additional opportunity as a newly licensed nurse to develop your leadership skills and receive support during your transition from student nurse to competent professional nurse.
As your career evolves, our compensation and benefits packages are designed to change with you — meeting needs now, and anticipating what comes next. We know that when Mayo Clinic takes care of you, you can take better care of our patients.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Learn more about "EEO is the Law." Mayo Clinic participates in E-Verify and may provide the Social Security Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Mayo Clinic provides reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities to increase opportunities and eliminate barriers to employment. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application process; to access job postings, to apply for a job, for a job interview, for pre-employment testing, or with the onboarding process, please contact HR Connect at 507-266-0440 or 888-266-0440.
Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a post offer placement assessment including a urine drug screen, immunization review and tuberculin (TB) skin testing, if applicable.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization and proceeds from Web advertising help support our mission. Mayo Clinic does not endorse any of the third party products and services advertised.
A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.org," "Mayo Clinic Healthy Living," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.
© 1998-2021 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved.