Be challenged to deliver innovative solutions that will change health care.
Mayo Clinic’s tech culture is rooted in passion for technology, embraces innovative thinking and strives for high performance. Our teams drive change in health care through comprehensive connected health and digital transformation strategies.
Some examples of our major initiatives are:
- Utilizing artificial intelligence and machine learning principles to develop next generation patient centric care systems
- Transforming the practice by applying data science techniques to discover new approaches to health care delivery
- Leveraging Enterprise Architecture to construct integration centricity, promote data liquidity, and provide innovation support
This transformation creates, connects and applies integrated knowledge to deliver the best health care, health guidance and health information to patients, customers, partners, providers, employees anywhere and anytime so the needs of the patient come first.
Mayo Clinic is the nation's best hospital (U.S. News & World Report, 2022-2023) and ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. We have a vast array of opportunities ranging from Nursing, Clinical, to Finance, IT, Administrative, Research and Support Services to name a few. Across all locations, you’ll find career opportunities that support diversity, equity and inclusion. At Mayo Clinic, we invest in you with opportunities for growth and development and our benefits and compensation package are highly competitive. We invite you to be a part of our team where you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and most importantly, a life-changing career!
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
This is a fully remote position in the United States.
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer to design and build back-end services that support our portfolio of data-centric clinical and analytic applications. These applications leverage cloud computing, mobile, data science, machine learning using state of the art software development applications and frameworks. Our Software Engineers ensure that these cloud-based micro-services adhere to uptime and accuracy targets, are resilient, and scale as data volumes and traffic increase. They work closely with the data engineering, platform, and solutions teams to develop applications as required to benefit our practice and patients.
• Works closely with the Product Owners, Product Managers, Architects to translate requirements into code.
• Participate in DevOps, Agile, continuous development and integration frameworks.
• Contributes to design and architecture discussions with Lead Engineers and Architects.
Required qualifications for this position include Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field with 10 years of experiences noted below; or Associate's Degree in Computer Science / Engineering or related field with 12 years of experience as noted below.
- Have specialized depth and/or breadth of expertise in software engineering with coding applications or services in a high-level language (Golang, Java, C# etc.), source code management, building automation, creating engineering design and code review process.
- Experience developing software services for the cloud with a preference for GCP experience.
- Experience with modern application development frameworks Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Raise the bar on all aspects of the software engineering process both by example and mentorship.
- Be an advocate for software engineers and help communicate the voice of engineering staff to management
- Help define standards for engineering hiring, interview questions, techniques and training for engineers
- Define and report on key engineering metrics to management to help assess health of software organization
- Be a key resource for engineering projects that require senior-level advice, guidance and/or review
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Master's degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open-source technologies and cloud-based services.
- Experience building high-performance, highly available and scalable distributed systems.
- Experience developing software for healthcare related industries (EHRs like Epic, Cerner etc..)
$145,100.80 - $210,412.80 / year
Hours / Pay period
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.
Discover unlimited opportunities. Your IT career may start as a Help Desk Specialist or Work Station Technician, an intern, or entry-level Analyst/Programmer and develop into a mid- or senior-level technical position. You may choose to grow laterally as a technical expert, learning and supporting many different aspects of IT services. Or you may choose to become part of the leadership team.
- Business Relationship Management
- Enterprise Infrastructure
- Enterprise Architecture
- Project Management and Systems Analysis
The Life Changers
When you choose an IT career with Mayo Clinic you will have an opportunity to engage with new and innovative solutions which will improve quality of life and patient outcomes. You will partner with brilliant Physicians and Scientists to help drive translational medicine in a fast-paced environment where creativity, energy, and dedication will result in success.”Marie Koctecki
Senior Manager, IT Service Delivery
Over the span of my career, I have worked in multiple divisions across IT and have now advanced to a Service Delivery Manager role, managing a Project Management Office (PMO). The opportunities within the department of IT are vast. I have been able to gain my Project Management Professional (PMP) certification as well as my Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification while at Mayo Clinic.”Betty Hutchins
Manager, IT Service Delivery
I appreciate the breadth of career paths within IT and the ability to branch out and diversify my professional expertise while remaining with Mayo Clinic. The diverse backgrounds and depth of expertise of my coworkers is an attribute of Mayo’s unique culture; I enjoy the opportunity to work with so many world-renowned experts and thought leaders across a wide array of professions.”Samanthie Epps
Manager, IT Speciality Systems
Join our talent community.
Join our global talent community to receive alerts when new life-changing opportunities become available.
Mayo Clinic Laboratories uses enhanced technology to safeguard patient specimens
To improve specimen safety and tracking, Mayo Clinic Laboratories is using an enhanced form of radio-frequency...
Mayo Clinic and vMocion Introduce Technology which Creates the Sensation of Motion, Transforming Vir
Mayo Clinic and vMocion, LLC, an entertainment technology company, today announced it is making...