Research Technologist - Molecular Medicine - Limited TenureJob ID 166395BR Date posted 11/15/2021
- Rochester, Minnesota
- Full Time
- Molecular Medicine
The Mohni Lab in the Department of Molecular Medicine is seeking a hard-working and enthusiastic molecular biology/biochemistry research technologist to aid in the lab’s studies of viral DNA replication and virus-host interactions. The research technologist will spend most of their time on research, with some effort put towards maintaining lab infrastructure. The new research assistant will be directly mentored and instructed by the Principle Investigator in planning, conducting, and presenting research. Please include a cover letter and CV in the application. More information on the lab can be found at https://www.mayo.edu/research/faculty/mohni-kareem-n-ph-d/bio-20476089 or @MohniLab on Twitter.
Mayo Clinic is the nation's best hospital (U.S. News & World Report, 2020-2021) and ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. We have a vast array of opportunities ranging from Nursing, Clinical, to Finance, IT, Administrative, Research and Support Services to name a few. Across all locations, you’ll find career opportunities that support diversity, equity and inclusion. At Mayo Clinic, we invest in you with opportunities for growth and development and our benefits and compensation package are highly competitive. We invite you to be a part of our team where you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and most importantly, a life-changing career!
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
- With moderate direction, contribute to lab research projects aimed at understanding biochemical mechanisms and pathways involved in viral DNA replication. Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and motivated. Must exhibit a solid understanding of lab techniques, equipment, and safety. Specific laboratory techniques include:
- Maintain human cell lines and perform basic cell culture experiments
- Prepare and titrate viral stocks with plaque assays
- Fluorescence Microscopy and FACS
- Use protein gels and Western blotting to analyze proteins
- Design and clone plasmids, site-directed mutagenesis
- Express and purify proteins in bacteria and insect cells
- Prepare buffers and reagents.
- Order supplies
- Receive packages
- Sets up and performs routine and established lab procedures in support of lab goals, grant commitments, i.e. assays, cell/tissue culture, animal studies, etc.
- Monitors results, reports unusual outcomes and suggests modifications.
- Collects, enters and summarizes data.
- Assists in the maintenance of lab equipment and supplies.
- Performs basic statistical data analysis; prepares tables/charts/graphs and assists in organizing data.
- Presents at research laboratory meetings and contributes to writing of manuscripts.
- Works under supervision and may perform some assignments independently as discussed and approved by Principal Investigator.
This is a limited tenure position that has been approved for approximately one year, that may have the possibility of turning into a regular position.
*Please provide a cover letter with application.*
- Requires bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, cellular biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or other relevant science.
- It is essential that the applicant be able to perform all basic calculations related to buffer composition (Molarity, dilution factor, etc.)
- Ability to accurately follow established lab protocols
- Must exhibit a solid understanding of lab techniques, equipment, and safety.
- Must have the ability to organize and carry out laboratory techniques independently and in a team setting.
- Experience with basic data analysis is required.
- This position requires demonstrated writing skills.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The minimum pay rate is $23.56 per hour.
Hours / Pay period
Generally, Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm.
Rarely, weekend work may be required due to critical study time points.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.
Join our talent community.
Join our global talent community to receive alerts when new life-changing opportunities become available.
If you want to know what it's really like at Mayo Clinic, just ask. You'll find that our pride–in where we work, and in what we do–is a common trait. You will also find a lot of inspiring stories about lives changed for the better.
Nurse Training Programs
The Nurse Residency Program at Mayo Clinic Health System Northwest Wisconsin is a year-long education program that provides you an additional opportunity as a newly licensed nurse to develop your leadership skills and receive support during your transition from student nurse to competent professional nurse.
As your career evolves, our compensation and benefits packages are designed to change with you — meeting needs now, and anticipating what comes next. We know that when Mayo Clinic takes care of you, you can take better care of our patients.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Learn more about "EEO is the Law." Mayo Clinic participates in E-Verify and may provide the Social Security Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Mayo Clinic provides reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities to increase opportunities and eliminate barriers to employment. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application process; to access job postings, to apply for a job, for a job interview, for pre-employment testing, or with the onboarding process, please contact HR Connect at 507-266-0440 or 888-266-0440.
Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a post offer placement assessment including a urine drug screen, immunization review and tuberculin (TB) skin testing, if applicable.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization and proceeds from Web advertising help support our mission. Mayo Clinic does not endorse any of the third party products and services advertised.
A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.org," "Mayo Clinic Healthy Living," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.
© 1998-2021 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved.