Development / Philanthropy
Why Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is the nation's best hospital (U.S. News & World Report, 2020-2021) and
ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. Our multi-disciplinary
group practice focuses on providing high quality, compassionate medical care. We are
the largest integrated, not-for-profit medical group practice in the world that brings
together the best in patient care, groundbreaking research and innovative medical
education. If you would like support our mission, we invite you to consider applying for
a Life Changing Career!
Innovation and compassion are paramount to providing world-class medical care to
patients from all over the world. We lean on the variety of perspectives and
backgrounds of our colleagues’ to continuously challenge ourselves and to create a
workplace that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion. Become part of the legacy that
embraces our differences and enables us to provide the best care to patients from all
over the world.
Mission and Accountability
Mayo Clinic's Cure.Connect.Transform. vision and strategy reflects Mayo's distinctive strengths in innovation and excellence, and is expected to secure Mayo's role as the premier global health care provider. The Department of Development is tightly aligned in this journey with its strategy and approach toward these top priorities. The chief development officer (CDO), in partnership with his/her physician partner is accountable for:
The CDO reports to the chief administrative officer and is the administrative partner to the executive dean for Development. The CDO works collaboratively with Mayo Administration colleagues, physician colleagues and allied health staff and nurtures a culture of agility, empowerment, innovation and transparency within the Department of Development.
- Directing Mayo Clinic's philanthropic program and having principal responsibility for the development and execution of the most effective fundraising strategies in health care philanthropy. The CDO will lead the Department of Development as a leader in the philanthropic industry and realize the full potential of philanthropy at Mayo Clinic.
- Leading and managing the Department of Development Executive Team and educating and advising Mayo Clinic leadership on fundraising and the role of philanthropy in strategic planning and vision.
- Partnering with the executive dean for Development to communicate with Mayo Clinic leadership regarding the Department of Development's strategy, policy, key issues and annual reporting.
- Engaging Mayo Clinic leaders in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding philanthropic partner prospects and selected principal prospects.
- Serving as a champion, articulating the importance of fundraising to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Developing, executing and advancing the Department of Development's unified strategic vision and operational plan and ensuring alignment with institutional strategic directives.
- Ensuring the Department of Development workforce will unlock the value that lies at the intersection of human and machine and will be the unequivocal leader of seamless human-plus-digital philanthropic engagement.
- Inspiring strategic philanthropy that accelerates Mayo Clinic's discovery of the next generation in diagnosis, treatment, cure and prevention for people around the world.
- Delivering a seamless philanthropic experience across physical and digital environments that anticipates prospect and benefactor needs and integrates with their broader Mayo Clinic journey.
- Realizing an expanded model of revenue generation that enables a broader definition of philanthropy and generates multifaceted value in support of Mayo Clinic's mission.
The CDO serves as a member of leadership groups within Mayo Clinic, including the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees with the executive dean for Development; Board of Trustees ex-officio, Mayo Clinic Executive Operating Team, and Mayo Clinic Administrative Team.
The fundraising goal is adjusted on an annual basis; however, the goal is to achieve a fundraising goal of $1B a year annually by 2024.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Bachelor's degree in related field required, with master's degree preferred
- Minimum five years of management experience in a comprehensive fundraising program at a large, complex organization
- Documented experience in all phases of a successful comprehensive campaign, demonstrating ownership and accountability
- Excellent relationship skills, forming trust-based relationships with benefactors, trustees and other stakeholders
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Innovative, independent thinker
- Highest level of written, interpersonal and public presentation skills
- Excellent team leadership skills to inspire, lead and guide staff as well as to interact effectively with high level contacts within and outside the organization
- Role model and moral compass for the Department of Development with the highest level of integrity
- Experience in health care philanthropy strongly preferred
- Viewed as a credible activist and a steward of culture, innovation and change
- The primary work location will be Rochester, Minnesota
- Significant travel required to Mayo Clinic's sites and other business-related venues
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.