Why Mayo Clinic
Innovation and compassion are paramount to providing world-class medical care to patients from all over the world. We lean on the variety of perspectives and backgrounds of our colleagues’ to continuously challenge ourselves and to create a workplace that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion. Become part of the legacy that embraces our differences and enables us to provide the best care to patients from all over the world.
This is a full time telework position.
The Cybersecurity Operations Center (CSOC) Engineer acts as an information security liaison to Mayo Clinic unit’s to assist with use case, alarm and standard response procedures under Mayo Clinic’s Information Security Incident Response Program. The CSOC Engineer is results oriented, multi-disciplined, and comfortable working with CSOC Senior Engineer and management.
CSOC Engineer also assists system users relative to information systems security matters and undertakes moderately complex analysis requiring additional specialized technical knowledge. Specifically, the CSOC engineer is knowledgeable, becoming proficient, and experienced in:
- Working with other OIS units to achieve organizational and OIS goals.
- Developing required competencies by mastering fundamental tasks.
- Using of defensive measures and information to identify, analyze and report security events.
- Researching and understanding pertinent regulations involving information technology and related organizational policies and procedures.
- Performing CSOC standard operating procedures to help ensure the safety of information systems assets and to protect systems from intentional or inadvertent access or destruction.
- Analyzing a variety of network and host-based security appliance logs determine the correct remediation actions and escalation paths for each incident.
- With CSOC team’s assistance, following procedures to contain, analyze, and eradicate malicious activity.
- Assisting with the development, documentation, and maintaining CSOC documentation (e.g., alarm use cases, standard operating procedures, etc.).
Additional Experience and/or Qualifications:
The CSOC Engineer also requires the following skills/abilities:
Mayo Clinic will not sponsor or transfer visas for this position.
- Technical writing and documentation.
- Knowledge of Linux/UNIX operating system environments.
- Knowledge of Windows system internals.
- Understanding of malware and various attack vectors commonly employed by hackers.
- General understanding of various attacks, such as, phishing, SQL injection, cross-site scripting, buffer overflow techniques, and data leakage.
- Ability to collect, process, preserve, analyze and present computer related evidence in support of network vulnerability mitigation and/or criminal, fraud, counterintelligence or law enforcement investigations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of standard operating procedures, workflows and supporting technology across numerous critical user areas and an in-depth knowledge of multiple computing technologies either being actively used or of significant interest to Mayo Clinic; understands how systems fit into larger technologic at picture at Mayo Clinic.
- Capacity to work independently and willingness to seek advice/assistance.
Master’s Degree or a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or related major and a minimum one (1) year experience in the information security field required, OR Associates degree and two (2) years’ experience in the information security field.
The Information Security Engineer also requires the following skills/abilities.
• Understands the use and efficacy of information security tools, server configurations and controls with the ability to install, configure, test and operate them.
• Able to test, implement, deploy, maintain, review and administer the infrastructure hardware and software required to effectively secure the enterprise, protect data, identify and mitigate risks
• Ability to collect, process, preserve, analyze and present computer related evidence in support of network vulnerability mitigation and/or criminal, fraud, counterintelligence or law enforcement investigations.
• Provides technical opinions/conclusions re. security tools, trends, and controls which are supported by documented evidence, based on multiple perspectives and leverage of a variety of resources
• Demonstrates knowledge of standard operating procedures, workflows and supporting technology across numerous critical user areas and an in-depth knowledge of multiple computing technologies either being actively used or of significant interest to Mayo; understands how systems fit into larger picture of technology at Mayo.
• Capacity to work independently and willingness to seek advice/assistance.
License or certification
Must have one of the following certifications (or equivalent) at time of hire. In lieu of certification at time of hire, candidate must pass the exam within two years, and complete the certification process once years of service requirements of the certifying body have been met.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The minimum salary every 2 weeks is approx $3,318.40, based on a full-time position.
Full time telework.
Monday - Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
On call rotation
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
IT and Engineering
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.