Why Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is the nation's best hospital (U.S. News & World Report, 2020-2021) and ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. We have a vast array of opportunities ranging from Nursing, Clinical, to Finance, IT, Administrative, Research and Support Services to name a few. Across all locations, you’ll find career opportunities that support diversity, equity and inclusion. At Mayo Clinic, we invest in you with opportunities for growth and development and our benefits and compensation package are highly competitive. We invite you to be a part of our team where you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and most importantly, a life-changing career!
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
Why Mayo Clinic:
The Development Shared Services (DSS) Section of the Enterprise Technology Services Division of Mayo Clinic is seeking an experienced Solution Architect, to join our team through a Limited Tenure Technical Specialist I position. You would support Agile Scrum teams to design, develop, and hand-off software project deliverables. You would design and develop user interfaces, back-end web services, and database software, in addition to automated tests. See details below.
This position will provide direction and guidance for software engineering and architecture concerns in DSS. Working with a team of DSS Solution Architects, it is imperative to build credibility, respect and understanding with all areas of Mayo Clinic, Mayo partners, and vendors.
As part of this position you will be expected to:
Required Skills or Experience:
- Describe technology engagements, and enable DSS/development teams to understand what is being asked of them
- Monitor progress through solution realization, and make sure that surprises are minimized during execution and/or make necessary adjustments based on what is learned along the way
- Document, catalog, and evangelize common application patterns that surface during projects
- Explore opportunities by researching Mayo capabilities, and partnering with areas across the enterprise including Practice and Technology
- Work closely with the DSS chief architect, and escalate concerns as appropriate
- Understand and apply concepts of enterprise architecture to ensure systems align, adhere and integrate within Mayo Information Technology enterprise environment
- Prepare necessary documentation and facilitate system technical reviews within the institution to ensure appropriate technical architecture approvals and design standards
- Strong skills with a mentor/coach mindset
- Strong experience collaborating with teams and customers to understand their concerns, and seek the best opportunities for solutions
- Strong development background with knowledge in application, database and system design
- Strong Ability to deal with ambiguity and lead others through the transition to clarity
- Strong passion for process improvement, and automation
- Strong experience with automated testing, monitoring and measuring tools
- Strong desire for continuous learning
- Knowledgeable in and applies a broad range of current technologies, and recognizes how they fit into Mayo’s environment.
- Demonstrated ability in solving complex technical problems with multiple computing technologies to provide or improve application architecture.
Preferred Skills or Experience:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas clearly
- Accountable for the on-time completion of tasks and projects as assigned, demonstrating a commitment to meet deadlines and priorities
- Toolbox of design/architecture modeling techniques
- Strong organizational skills
- Background in agile concepts
- Experience with Architectural frameworks – such as TOGAF
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Experience with Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
- Certified Scrum Developer (CSD)
Bachelor's degree and 5 years' experience including 3 years' of demonstrated technical experience and 1 year of demonstrated leadership experience; Or, Associate's degree and 9 years' experience including 3 years' of demonstrated technical experience.
Authorization to work and remain in the United States, without necessity for Mayo Clinic sponsorship now, or in the future (for example, be a U.S. Citizen, national, or permanent resident, refugee, or asylee).
Capable of moving among work areas and willing to do so. Demonstrated project and deliverable consistency through repeatable and reliable performance. Proven evidence of project management skills. Demonstrated oral and written communication, organization, problem solving, and facilitation skills. Evidence of mastery level expertise in one computing technology. Demonstrated ability in solving complex technical problems with multiple computing technologies. Experience working in healthcare technology. Exposure to managing both custom developed and vendor-supplied applications. Master’s degree in applicable field preferred.
Required education, experience, and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The salary range every 2 weeks is approx. $3,670-$5,138 based on a full-time position.
Hours / Pay period
Monday - Friday day shift
Possible on-call rotation
This is a limited tenure position that has been approved for the posted assignment duration. Limited Tenure (LT) means that if you are offered the position and accept it:
- You will be categorized as a regular employee during the tenure, but employment will be terminated on the established end date.
- You committed to stay in this position until the end of the tenure (on/about August 2021) before you become eligible to transfer to another position.
- After the completion of the limited tenure assignment, it is your responsibility to secure another role within Mayo through the job vacancy process or employment will be ended upon the completion of the limited tenure assignment.
- Limited Tenure classified staff are not eligible for internally posted IT jobs (or for work unit only posted); however may be eligible for other Limited Tenure IT (Information Technology) positions, or other IT positions posted externally or other Non-IT opportunities.
Possible on-call rotation
This vacancy may be open to full time telework candidates within the U.S./ reasonable travel to a Mayo facility if ever a business need/ meeting or client-facing. Mayo Clinic has facilities in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arizona, and Florida.
IT and Engineering
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.