Why Mayo Clinic
Join the authority in medicine and partner with the nation’s best hospital (U.S. News & World Report 2020-2021), ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. At Mayo Clinic, we believe there is a better path to healing that humanizes the practice of health care and inspires hope in the people who need it most. You will be part of an amazing diverse team committed to solving the most serious and complex medical challenges – one patient at a time.
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
The Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Arizona has an exciting opportunity for an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or a Physician Assistant (NP PA) to join their team. Cardiothoracic Surgeons at Mayo Clinic are on the leading edge of treating cardiac and thoracic conditions using the latest innovations and techniques in Cardiothoracic surgery, such as minimally invasive surgery and robotic approaches treating lung cancer, diaphragm disorders, and diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Chest wall reconstruction and Pectus Excavatum Repairs. Cardiac surgical procedures for valve replacement, coronary artery disease, atrial fibrillation, end stage heart failure (LVAD) and heart transplantation.
The NP PA works cooperatively with physicians, NPs, PAs, nurses, and other allied health personnel to deliver care to patients in the inpatient, surgical and outpatient settings.
The Acute Care NP or PA performs the following tasks:
- Obtain a patient history
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment
- Order, conduct and interpret diagnostic tests
- Develop and implement a treatment plan
- Chest tube removal
- Epicardial pacing wire removal
- Bedside talc pleurodesis
- Prescribe pharmacological agents and treatments and non-pharmacological therapies
- Facilitate appropriate consultations and referrals
- Provide counseling and education to meet patient needs
- Serve as a first assist in surgery
- Acute care and/or surgical first assist experience is preferred.
- Two to five years of clinical experience is preferred.
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner:
- Must be a graduate of an accredited university.
- NCCPA certification required.
- Must be licensed/certified or eligible to practice as PA in the State of Arizona.
*Internal employees must attach the three most recent performance appraisals to the online application.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited university.
- RNFA is required
- Must be licensed or eligible to practice as an CNP in the State of Arizona. Must have national certification.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- The PA NP must be flexible and willing to cover call responsibilities and adjust schedule to meet patient and staff needs.
- Ability to manage time and stress effectively and adapt to unpredictable situations within the patient care setting.
- Strong computer skills in an Electronic Medical Record preferred.
License or certification
- Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant license to practice in the State or Arizona.
- BLS and ACLS are required.
- For Nurse Practitioners, Acute Care certification is required, and for Physician Assistants, NCCPA certification is required.
- Evidence of application for DEA certificate must be provided upon hire and obtained within 90 days of hire. Certification should be maintained thereafter unless waived by department/division.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
Monday through Friday with call and weekends.
1 in 3 weekends. Rounding with possible urgent/emergent cases and heart transplant coverage.
Over the next four years, Mayo Clinic is making significant investments in both the physical and technological future of health care, through doubling the size of the Mayo Clinic campus in Phoenix, inclusive of practice, education, and research activities. Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona are located in Phoenix and Scottsdale, in the beautiful Sonoran Desert. The region is known as the Valley of the Sun, a metropolitan area with more than 4 million residents in 25 cities and towns.
With Phoenix being the fifth largest city in the nation, this sunny "desert metropolis" offers the amenities of a big city in the midst of a strikingly beautiful, rugged, southwest landscape.
Scottsdale frequently earns praise as a highly desirable place to live. The city's more than 200,000 residents enjoy a vibrant mix of culinary hot spots, arts and entertainment, professional and collegiate sports teams, and community resources. The region's desert climate promotes an outdoor lifestyle with a full complement of sports and recreation.
Advanced Practitioner/Provider, Other Patient Care
Nurse Practitioner & Physician Assistant
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.