Why Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic Arizona has an exciting opportunity for a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner to join the Urology team.
The Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant has advanced health assessment and decision-making skills, prepared through a formal educational program that meets criteria established by the profession. Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistants are certified by examination of an approved certifying body.
This individual works independently and in collaboration with physicians and other health care professionals to provide health care across the continuum of care for assigned patients. Provides primary health and specialty specific care to individuals and families, emphasizing health promotion and disease prevention. The provision of care includes, but is not limited to: obtaining patient history, comprehensive assessment, ordering, conducting, and interpreting diagnostic tests, and prescribing pharmacological agents and treatments and non-pharmacological therapies. Teaching and counseling individuals, families, and groups are an important part of the Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant's practice. Monitors the effectiveness of the therapeutic interventions. Makes appropriate referrals. Performs minor procedures as approved by the appropriate AZ Regulatory Board.
This individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span. The ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and appropriately interpret information relative to the patient's age-specific needs is required. The Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant demonstrates leadership through involvement on committees and team projects, education, and research and actively seeks to improve the practice through performance improvement initiatives. This individual must demonstrate superior patient relation skills by placing the needs of the patient first. Must remain active in professional organizations and participates in community activities.
In addition to the above requirements, must meet two to four of the following:
Spends at least 50% of days based at the hospital (rounds, service, or shift work)
- Performs specialized procedure(s)
- Provides evals and consults with indirect supervision at least 50% of days worked
- Spends at least 10% of days as First Assist in surgery
- Takes call assignments (Primary and/or ED)
- Provides Weekend/Holiday Service
For Family or Acute Care Nurse Practitioner:
For Physician Assistant:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and nurse practitioner program.
- Current RN license, Advanced Practice Certification, and Prescribing and Dispensing Certificate in Arizona, Certification as nurse practitioner approved.
- Graduate of a university program approved by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education (ARCE) for the Physician Assistant.
- Must be certified by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Must have Arizona licensure as a Physician Assistant under the supervision of a Mayo Clinic physician upon hire.
- Three most recent performance appraisals to the online application are required.
- EPIC experience preferred.
- Previous outpatient Urology experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Flexibility to adjust schedule to meet patient and staff needs.
- Ability to manage time and stress effectively and adapt to unpredictable situations within the patient care setting.
- Two to five years of clinical experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills in an Electronic Medical Record preferred.
- Previous Urologic Surgery experience preferred.
License or certification
For both Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants:
- Maintains prescribing and dispensing privileges in Arizona.
- Must provide DEA certificate upon hire.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is required upon hire and must be valid for 90 days or greater from the start date.
- Maintain certification as required by department or division.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
Over the next four years, Mayo Clinic is making significant investments in both the physical and technological future of health care, through doubling the size of the Mayo Clinic campus in Phoenix, inclusive of practice, education, and research activities. Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona are located in Phoenix and Scottsdale, in the beautiful Sonoran Desert. The region is known as the Valley of the Sun, a metropolitan area with more than 4 million residents in 25 cities and towns.
With Phoenix being the fifth largest city in the nation, this sunny "desert metropolis" offers the amenities of a big city in the midst of a strikingly beautiful, rugged, southwest landscape.
Scottsdale frequently earns praise as a highly desirable place to live. The city's more than 200,000 residents enjoy a vibrant mix of culinary hot spots, arts and entertainment, professional and collegiate sports teams, and community resources. The region's desert climate promotes an outdoor lifestyle with a full complement of sports and recreation.
Nurse Practitioner & Physician Assistant
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.