Why Mayo Clinic
The department of Neurology is seeking an acute care Nurse Practitioner or a Physician Assistant to work in an outpatient Neurology setting.
The Nurse Practitioner or a Physician Assistant has advanced health assessment and decision-making skills, prepared through a formal educational program that meets criteria established by the profession. This individual works independently and in collaboration with physicians and other health care professionals to provide health care across the continuum of care for assigned patients. The Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant provides primary health and specialty specific care to individuals and families, emphasizing health promotion and disease prevention. This individual combines nursing care with aspects of medical care, focusing on the patient as a whole person. The provision of care includes, but is not limited to: comprehensive assessment, ordering, conducting and interpreting diagnostic tests, prescription of pharmacological agents and treatments, and non-pharmacological therapies. Teaching and counseling individuals, families, and groups are an important part of this role. This individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span. The ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and appropriately interpret information relative to the patient's age-specific needs is required. Demonstrates leadership through involvement on committees and team projects, education, and research and actively seeks to improve the practice through performance improvement initiatives. Active in professional organizations and participates in community activities.
Level II Requirements:
- Spend at least 50% of days based at the hospital (rounds, service, or shift work)
- Perform specialized procedure(s)
- Provides evals and consults with indirect supervision at least 50% of days worked
- Spend at least 10% of days as First Assist in surgery
- Take call assignments (Primary and/or ED)
- Provide Weekend/Holiday Service.
- Nurse Practitioner: Must be a graduate of an accredited university. Master of Science in Nursing required. Must be licensed or eligible to practice as an Nurse Practitioner in the State of Arizona. Must have national certification.
- Physician Assistant: Must be a graduate of an accredited university. NCCPA certification required. Must be licensed/certified or eligible to practice as PA in the State of Arizona
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Flexibility to adjust schedule to meet patient and staff needs.
- Ability to manage time and stress effectively and adapt to unpredictable situations within the patient care setting.
- Two to five years of clinical experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills in an Electronic Medical Record preferred.
- Must attest to ability to care for adolescent patients.
License or certification
- Current RN license, Advanced Practice Certificate, and Prescribing and Dispensing Certificate in Arizona.
- Certification as nurse practitioner by an approved certifying organization.
- BLS and ACLS credential is required upon hire and must be valid for 90 days or greater from start date.
- Maintains BLS/ACLS competency.
- Must provide evidence of application for DEA certificate upon hire, obtain DEA certificate within 90 days of hire, and maintain certificate thereafter unless waived by department/division.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona are located in Phoenix and Scottsdale, in the beautiful Sonoran Desert. The region is known as the Valley of the Sun, a metropolitan area with more than 4 million residents in 25 cities and towns.
With Phoenix being the sixth largest city in the nation, this sunny "desert metropolis" offers the amenities of a big city in the midst of a strikingly beautiful, rugged, southwest landscape.
Scottsdale frequently earns praise as a highly desirable place to live. The city's more than 200,000 residents enjoy a vibrant mix of culinary hot spots, arts and entertainment, professional and collegiate sports teams, and community resources. The region's desert climate promotes an outdoor lifestyle with a full complement of sports and recreation.
Nurse Practitioner & Physician Assistant
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
Mayo Clinic is an equal opportunity educator and employer (including veterans and persons with disabilities).