Why Mayo Clinic
|Our multi-disciplinary group practice focuses on providing high quality, compassionate medical care. When you join the largest integrated, not-for-profit medical group practice in the world, you'll work alongside approximately 3,800 physicians/scientists and 1,600 Nurse Practitioners/Physician Assistants across all locations in a unique environment that brings together the best in patient care, groundbreaking research and innovative medical education.|
This Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant:
• Will join a growing orthopedic practice and will be expected to run an independent schedule.
• Will work in multiple locations to provide support throughout the organization; primary locations are La Crosse, Onalaska, Sparta and Tomah.
• Conducts physical exams, taking medical history, image interpretation and patient evaluation/care.
• Consults with physician as needed and refers to physicians for more complicated cases or cases that are not a routine part of a PA’s scope of work.
• Orders diagnostic tests and scans and prescribes medications.
• Administers injections, participate in suture and dressing removal and manage simple fracture management/cast application and removal.
• Counsels patient/family on preventive health care, including pre- and post- operative education.
• Functions as first or second assist in the operating room, including performing surgical exposure, surgical dissections, layer closure of wounds, etc.
• Prepare patient for surgery, including positioning, skin preparation, equipment preparation, layer closure of wounds, etc.
• Monitors therapies and provides continuity of care.
Preferred: two years' orthopedic or surgical experience as an Advance Practice Provider.
The ability to work independently along with possessing exceptional communication and patient care skills are essential. Confidence and decision-making capabilities are a must, as well as flexibility in a changing work environment. Prescriptive capabilities are required.
To be considered for this position please upload two letters of reference to your online application.
Mayo Clinic employees are asked to upload 3 most recent performance appraisals with online application.
License or certification
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with a Master’s of Science Degree in Nursing from a Nurse Practitioner program. Current Wisconsin RN license and certification as an APNP (or eligible to be certified).
Or graduate of accredited Physician Assistant program. Certified or eligible to be certified by NCCPA and licensure as a PA by the Wisconsin Board of Medical Practice.
Must be eligible for DEA registration.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Call rotation is 1 in 5
May include hours outside of normal clinic hours
La Crosse, WI, is a city of 52,000 with a metro area of 120,000 in the Upper Mississippi River Valley, located between Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, and Madison, WI. The area offers unlimited, four-season recreational opportunities (biking, golf, hiking the bluffs and cross-country/downhill skiing). We have a great family environment with safe and high-quality schools, including two universities and a technical college. There are numerous sporting events, a children’s museum and a civic center. La Crosse is a strong performing arts community with a local symphony orchestra, dance/ballet and theatres. MAYO CLINIC HEALTH SYSTEM links Mayo Clinic’s respected expertise in patient care, research and education with Mayo’s community-focused multi-specialty groups in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. Today, more than 950 physicians practice in 75 communities. Enjoy our collegiality, stability, excellent compensation and benefits and a balanced, high-quality Midwest lifestyle.
Nurse Practitioner & Physician Assistant
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.