Why Mayo Clinic
Imagine yourself in a dynamic atmosphere where you'll work alongside world-renowned experts, learn new things every day, treat conditions that few medical professionals ever encounter, and have a vast range of career paths to choose from. Now imagine that in addition to all this, you have the chance to change lives every day. That’s what it means to be a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner at Mayo Clinic.
This position is primarily hospital based and will partner with 3 other advanced practice providers to create an inpatient team for hospital-based patient care and coverage. This position will partner closely with residents in order to ensure coordinated and smooth care transitions for patients. This position will either primarily cover our General Surgery service line OR primarily cover our Colorectal Surgery service line. However, routine cross-coverage across service lines will be expected.
The Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner performs the following tasks in any authorized setting (clinics, hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, nursing homes, or patient's home)
- Obtaining patient history
- Performing physical examinations
- Ordering and performing diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- Formulating a diagnostic impression
- Developing and implementing a treatment plan
- Monitoring effectiveness of therapeutic interventions
- Offering counseling and education to meet patient needs
- Making appropriate referrals
- Prescribing and dispensing prescription medication
- First Assisting in the OR and performing minor procedures and surgical procedures
- Assessing data reflective of patient's status and appropriately interprets information relative to patient's age-specific needs.
- Rounding on Patients in the Hospital
- Seeing and triaging emergency room and inpatient hospital consults Integrate and co-manage hospital patients with resident teams
- Coordinating patient needs and transitioning care to outpatient settings and with clinic care teams
- Providing cross coverage for absences
Must be a graduate of an accredited university, Master of Science in Nursing required (If licensed prior to 1998, Master’s degree not required by the State of Florida). Must be licensed or eligible to practice as an ARNP in the State of Florida.
Must be a graduate of an accredited university, NCCPA Certification required
Must be licensed or eligible to practice as a PA in the State of Florida.
Hospital & surgical experience preferred. Must be flexible and willing to handle extended hours and on-call responsibilities (evenings, weekends, and holidays).
License or certification
Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant license to practice in the State of Florida. BLS and/or ACLS required in specific areas. For Nurse Practitioners, certification by the ANCC or AANP is required and for Physician Assistants, NCCPA certification is required.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
This position will work 8 days per two week pay period. Work schedule will cover weekdays and weekends on a rotating basis with pre-planned shifts which will include early and late shifts. This role must be flexible due to patient care coverage and extended OR cases.
Rotating weekend schedule
Jacksonville is the largest city in area in the continental United States. A beautiful coastal Florida city that features excellent year-round climate, over 20 miles of beaches and outstanding outdoor recreational, cultural and family-oriented amenities. The “River City by the Sea” has an excellent school system, reasonable cost of living and a thriving business environment. Medical professionals and patients are drawn to Jacksonville by an extraordinary network of high-profile healthcare facilities. Jacksonville continues to grow as more people relocate from all over the U.S. and abroad, to see what the great River City has to offer!
Nurse Practitioner & Physician Assistant
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.