Why Mayo Clinic
Diversity and inclusion are integral to Mayo Clinic's mission to provide excellent, culturally relevant care in a welcoming environment to patients from a wide variety of backgrounds and creating an inclusive work environment where differences are valued, allowing individuals to achieve and contribute to their fullest potential. This commitment to diversity is woven into the fabric of Mayo Clinic — we embrace these values as we serve our patients, employees, students, suppliers and communities.
Mayo Clinic Health System (MCHS) aspires to be the nation’s leading community health system, outperforming other health systems in every dimension pertinent to an innovative, forward facing system of care with top quality, safety, affordability, diversity and financial performance. The role requires a strong foundation of leadership in community health care with a demonstrated multi-year successful track record with a range of alternative payment models. By 2025, Mayo expects MCHS to contribute on all dimensions at a level commensurate with all of Mayo Clinic.
The role of the President, Mayo Clinic Health System is to lead the strategy and operations of the community health system in support of Mayo Clinic. The President, MCHS reports to the President and CEO of Mayo Clinic, and, in partnership with the MCHS CAO and CFO, oversees MCHS’ four current regions located in southern Minnesota and western Wisconsin. He/she is ultimately responsible for the overall performance of the health system, including patient value, financial results, recruiting and retention of highly skilled staff, and assuring top outcomes within a system of virtual and traditional models of care.
The role requires a commitment to the Mayo Clinic values and the ability to optimize the relationship between the Community practice and Mayo Clinic’s Midwest destination medical services. The role requires excellent matrix management skills and team work with Mayo Clinic’s primary and employee care across all sites, the Presidents of International and Platform and the Center for Digital Health. Strong leadership and problem solving skills are needed to develop and implement solutions which strengthen and enhance Mayo Clinic while meeting the regional and community needs.
At Mayo Clinic, one’s leadership style is important to achieve desired results. Mayo leaders must inspire trust by exemplifying the deeply rooted values of the institution and a genuine commitment to serving the common good. Effective Mayo leaders promote collegial dialogue, collaborative problem solving, and consensus-based decision-making to create and achieve shared goals and commitments. They provide an environment that values diversity and enables people to develop their talents and do their best work, individually and together.
The primary responsibility for the President, MCHS is to deliver long-term and sustained top tier clinical and financial outcomes. The President does so by providing overall strategic, management and operating direction for MCHS. He/she accelerates the transformation of MCHS as a high value community healthcare system with synergistic benefit as a part of Mayo Clinic’ destination medical centers, in a manner tightly aligned with Mayo Clinic Cure. Connect. Transform strategy. He/she is responsible for inspiring a passion for Mayo’s values throughout the health system as well as innovation and energy to better serve the needs of our patients, and the recruitment and retention of outstanding diverse staff. Specific responsibilities include:
- Leads MCHS in successfully implementing the strategic and operating plan as approved by the Board of Trustees within the framework of institutional policy and direction, in collaboration with the President and Chief Executive Officer, Chief Administrative Officer, Mayo Clinic’s Florida and Arizona CEOs, Executive Deans of Practice, Education, Research and Development, and Presidents of International and Platform, and in partnership with MCHS’s Chief Administrator Officer.
- Provides stewardship of health system resources and delivers on quality, safety, affordability, diversity and financial goals.
- Aligns clinical operations to meet MCHS’ needs and opportunities while serving the institutional good and promoting the long-term growth of the Mayo organization.
- Ensures that patients receive the highest quality care (outcomes, safety, and service) that is affordable with appropriate access.
- Responds to the need to innovate in response to evolving payment models, advances in remote care options, as well as changing consumer expectations.
- Partners with the Mayo Clinic Executive Operating Team (MC EOT) to establish targets and track results on all operational and financial objectives.
- Chairs and provides leadership and direction to MCHS’ Executive Operations Team to achieve Mayo Clinic targets for:
- Bold and forward thinking
- Strong financial performance
- Effective management of resources
- Leadership development and succession planning
- Ensures the development and diversity of staff, mentors the current and next generation of Mayo Clinic leaders, and fosters the goal of eliminating racism within Mayo Clinic. Leads effective strategies to increase the diversity of patients served. Implements and supports racial equity in health outcomes.
- Ensures adherence to Mayo Clinic policies.
- Ensures all activities of MCHS and its exempt affiliates to be conducted in compliance with IRC 501(c)(3) status.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Board certified physician with track record of successful community health services leadership experience.
- Demonstrated success in strategic portfolio optimization, value-based care models, alternative payment models, and key market drivers. Successful management within Accountable Care Organization (ACO) structure and Medicare Advantage Plans desired.
- Experience with community engagement/involvement and successfully working with local Boards.
- Knowledge of healthcare operations and financial management.
- Proven leadership skills in leading a diverse work team to accomplish results.
- Demonstrates agility, change leadership, and innovative thinking to lead change and transformation and achieve results in a competitive environment.
- Well-developed planning, marketing, organizational development and business skills.
- Strong alignment with Mayo’s primary and core values.
The President, MCHS is directly accountable to the President and CEO of Mayo Clinic. The position also carries with it an inherent expectation of accountability to the patients and staff of the Mayo Clinic Health System.
The President, MCHS, has authority to make decisions that influence the health system’s performance and allocate resources within the system (personnel, facilities, capital). Working in conjunction with the MCHS Executive Operations Team, the President MCHS has the authority to make the decisions necessary to fulfill his/her assigned responsibilities within his/her budget, Mayo Governance Decision Authority, Salary and Benefits Committee Guidelines, Mayo policy, and Mayo Clinic strategies.
Role-Based Titles and Committee Assignments
- Mayo Clinic President and CEO Cabinet
- Mayo Clinic Executive Operations team member
- Salary and Benefits Committee member
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
Executive, Physicians & Scientists
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.