Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Why Mayo Clinic
The needs of patients drive research at Mayo Clinic. As doctors treat patients and see opportunities for advancing patient care, they work together with Mayo scientists and research teams to develop new and improved diagnostic tools, medications, devices, treatment protocols and more. Encouraging and including contributions from diverse individuals is critical to Mayo Clinic's future. By leveraging the strengths that each diverse individual and group brings to the table, Mayo Clinic gains the strategic advantages of accelerated innovation, better problem solving, enhanced productivity and job satisfaction, improved quality, and, most importantly, provides better ways to meet the needs of our patients.
The Microscopy and Cell Analysis Core is seeking a motivated individual to perform and oversee the services provided by the Flow Cytometry Lab in support of research projects within the Mayo Clinic enterprise. The candidate will receive limited direction from the PI, Lab Manager and/or Supervisor. The candidate will oversee projects within the Flow Lab, assume significant responsibility for the day to day operation of laboratory activities, and will be expected to direct and teach others on laboratory practices. The successful candidate must be a self-directed learner, committed to continual advancement of their knowledge and skills, and able to learn and implement new technologies as needed. Requires the ability to interact with vendors and others outside of Mayo Clinic as well as with personnel from various departments within Mayo Clinic such as Research Services, Medical Graphics, Engineering, Facilities, Accounting, etc.
- Requires master's degree in biology, chemistry, or other relevant science with 8 years of research laboratory experience. Requires first authorship of a scientific publication as well as one presentation at a national level.
- Flow cytometry experience required with demonstrated abilities in all aspects of flow cytometry, including flow cytometry theory, experimental design, data analysis and interpretation, instrument set up and operation, quality control, troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Ph.D. in biology, chemistry, or other relevant science preferred. Must have demonstrated abilities in experimental procedures, statistical analysis techniques, development of experiments, and troubleshooting in a laboratory setting.
- Requires ability to work independently; including experience providing independent oversight of research project(s). Must be able to work with a variety of people at all levels both within and outside of the institution.
- Must have demonstrated customer service and presentation skills.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The minimum salary every 2 weeks is approx $2,750.40, based on a full-time position.
Candidate must be willing to work flexible hours as needed. Preferred candidate must be able to work Monday-Friday as directed by need.
Occasional weekend hours may be necessary, as needed.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
Clinical Labs and Research
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.