Occupational / Preventive Medicine
Why Mayo Clinic
You are invited to partner with the nation’s best hospital (U.S. News & World Report 2018-2019), ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. Being a nurse at Mayo Clinic provides a rewarding career that promotes excellence in patient-centered care. You can thrive in an environment that supports innovation, education, and has a wealth of resources available to you – including an integrated EHR and collaboration with others in the top of their field – to provide the highest quality patient care.
As a Mayo Clinic Occupational Health Nurse, you will work closely with employees and management to provide safe and quality care. We use a systematic process of assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation to develop a plan of care for our employee population. This role is multi-faceted and diverse, with a goal of ensuring our workforce and workplace are safe.
The job duties of an Occupational Health Nurse include:
We strive to ensure all health and safety standards are met in an effort to safeguard the health and wellbeing of our employees by coordinating with work-groups across Mayo Clinic to foster institutional compliance with laws, regulations, and standards governing health and safety. We invite you to join our team today!
- Conducting health screenings for new/transfer employee candidates
- Monitoring the work environment and data to assure the safety of workers
- Coordinating surveillance programs for occupations at increased risk for exposure
- Evaluating education and training programs
- Providing case management to employees off of work or with restrictions so they can safely return to work
- Graduate of a baccalaureate Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited nursing program.
- If graduated from a nursing program that was not accredited by ACEN or CCNE, at least one year of RN experience (within the last 5 years) in an applicable care setting is required.
- If graduation did not occur within the last two years, one year of RN experience in an applicable care setting or one year of current LPN experience at Mayo Clinic is required.
- Successful experience as a RN within the previous three years required.
The following qualifications are preferred:
Demonstrated leadership, effective communicator, and excellent critical thinking skills. Ability to adapt to unpredictable situations within the work setting. Excellent communication skills (verbal and written). Attention to detail in decision making and documentation. Computer skills required. Experience working in a team environment.
- Masters in nursing, public health, or Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Experience working in occupational health within an acute care setting and/or public health experience
- Current certification in Occupational Health Nursing
- Occupational health experience and current knowledge of laws and regulations that govern occupational health
Internal applicants should attach their three most recent performance appraisals.
License or certification
Must obtain prior to start date:
Current RN license by applicable state requirements.
Basic Cardiac Life Support for healthcare providers (BCLS) certificate of course completion required and must not expire within 3 months after start date. A scanned copy of the certificate of completion or transcripts, including your full name, must be attached to your profile to be considered.
We will only accept certificates of course completion from the following providers:
Additional specialty certification/training as required by the work area.
- American Heart Association (Title: BLS for Healthcare Providers or BLS Provider)
- Red Cross (Title: CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers or BLS for Healthcare Providers)
- Military Training Network
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The minimum pay rate is $33.71 per hour.
Hours / Pay period
64 to 80 hours per 2 week pay period
The schedule is NOT NEGOTIABLE
- Monday – Friday
- Shifts would be a combination of Days, Evenings, and Nights
- 8-hour shifts
- On call required
Weekends possible based on workload demand.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.