Clinical Exercise Physiologist Internships are on hold until further notice due to COVID.
Submit your letter of interest indicating which semester you are interested in applying for:
- Spring internship: applications accepted Aug. 15 - Sept. 15
- Summer internship: applications accepted Dec. 15 - Jan. 15
- Fall internship: applications accepted May 12 - June 15
Clinical Exercise Physiologist
At Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, the Cardiovascular Health Clinic offers an unpaid Clinical Exercise Physiologist Internship for undergraduate and graduate students in exercise science, health and wellness promotion, and related fields. Self-motivated, enthusiastic, creative students looking for experience in a clinical patient care setting are encouraged to apply.
The Clinical Exercise Physiologist Internship at the Cardiovascular Health Clinic provides you with comprehensive, hands-on practical and technical experience in delivering innovative clinical services. Internships last 12 to 15 weeks, but length may be adjusted to meet school requirements.
As a Clinical Exercise Physiologist intern, you will experience the following components of preventive and rehabilitative cardiology:
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Nutrition education
- Risk factor reduction assessment and education
- Patient care case management
- Stress management education
- Exercise prescription consultation
- Body composition testing
- Functional assessments
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- Pulmonary function testing
Your responsibilities include:
- Administering fitness assessments
- Providing exercise prescriptions and consultations
- Providing behavior and physical activity counseling
- Obtaining patient vital signs and inputting data
- Interpreting electrocardiograms and recognizing rhythms
- Designing and presenting an educational bulletin board
- Reviewing cardiac rehabilitation patient cases
- Delivering high-quality customer service with confidentiality and compassion
Additionally, you have the opportunity to observe other disciplines at Mayo Clinic, such as physical medicine and sports medicine, physician consultations, executive health consultations with clinical exercise physiologists, dietitian consultations, behavior modification, physical therapy, pulmonary rehabilitation, cardiac surgery, angiography, enhanced external counterpulsation (EECP), electrophysiology studies, echocardiography, vascular studies, and patient education.