Can you picture yourself as part of a specialized team, solving problems daily at one of the finest medical institutions in the world? That’s what it means to have a career as a medical coder at Mayo Clinic. Medical coders are responsible for the accuracy, integrity and quality of medical billing and coding. In the complex world of modern medicine, the skill of our expert coders is a critical part of putting our patients’ needs first and supporting the physicians and health professionals who care for them.
Whether you are a recent health information management graduate or an experienced medical coder, we invite you to explore a career with Mayo Clinic. Our coders work in many areas, including:
- Clinical Outpatient for services such as physician visits, laboratory and radiology services, and minor treatment procedures.
- Hospital Outpatient for services provided in the hospital outpatient setting, such as physician and ER visits and outpatient surgeries.
- Hospital Inpatient for services rendered and resources used during a hospital stay, such as physician services, surgical procedures, laboratory, and radiology services.
- Surgical coding for inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures.
- Reviewing and training new staff and cross-training current staff, as well as conducting focused reviews of all Mayo Clinic medical coding staff.
- Quality and compliance to ensure high performance in all aspects of medical coding at Mayo Clinic.
- Leadership to oversee and support all work areas and their staff members.
You can also work in many different locations and environments, including Mayo Clinic campuses in Arizona, Florida, and Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic Health System sites in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. Telework opportunities also are available for select jobs.