Why Mayo Clinic
You are invited to partner with the nation’s best hospital (U.S. News & World Report 2019-2020) ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. You can thrive in an environment that supports innovation and collaboration with top specialists – to give your patients the quality of care you want to achieve.
Our multi-disciplinary group practice focuses on providing high quality, compassionate medical care. When you join the largest integrated, not-for-profit medical group practice in the world, you'll work alongside approximately 3,800 physicians/scientists and 1,600 Nurse Practitioners/Physician Assistants across all locations in a unique environment that brings together the best in patient care, groundbreaking research and innovative medical education.
Mayo Clinic Health System is seeking a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant to join the Senior Services Team in the Family Medicine Department to work in the nursing home setting servicing nursing homes in the Mankato community.
The NP / PA will cover the full spectrum of care in the nursing home setting, follow care structure of the nursing home model and participate in regional collaborative partnership with other Mayo Clinic Health System sites / partners as needed.
- As part of the Family Medicine Department the NP / PA will primarily cover Mankato based nursing homes. When there are vacation, leaves, etc. in the department, all care providers in the department will provide coverage through video visit technology at other nursing homes including Fairmont, New Prague, St. James and Waseca.
- NP / PA will utilize telemedicine technology as appropriate.
- The focus of the NP / PA in the nursing home setting is to keep the resident in their care setting and ensure their care plan stays in place, which reduces unnecessary trips to the ER and hospital readmissions.
- Scope of practice consists primarily of our geriatric population.
- After 6 to 12 months in position, the NP / PA will be included on the call schedules. Call is phone only and travel to the nursing home is not required.
- Primary care provided in the nursing home setting for Mayo’s Family Medicine and Internal Medicine patients in SWMN region’s area nursing homes.
- Transitional care unit rounding in SWMN region’s area nursing home setting
- Acute visits in the nursing home setting for our region.
- Rotate required Medicare rounding with primary care physicians in the nursing home setting for our region
- Primary care provider for residents in the nursing home and ensuring all paperwork, phone calls and care plans are addressed.
- Call for nursing home sites within our region
- This will also require a secondary license for Iowa to rotate / provide call as we have 1 Iowa nursing home site; can apply after hire
- Anticoagulation services in the nursing home setting (POC) – certification is required, must be obtained within 6 months of employment.
- Electronic charting at time of visit
- Primary contact for dedicated nursing home sites within our region
- Collaborate with the residents' primary care provider on residents' care plan
- Provide care plan services that align with our organization’s quality metrics or other priority initiatives in the nursing home setting
- Provide nurse education / teaching in the nursing home setting
Interest in working with working with geriatric population required. Experience in providing nursing home care to patients preferred.
Masters prepared graduate of an accredited school of nursing and Nurse Practitioner. Current MN RN license and certification as a AGNP, FNP or ANP.
Or, graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant program with current PA certification by NCCPA and licensure as a PA by the MN Board of Medical Practice.
Must be eligible for DEA registration, billing privileges and within the first 6 months must obtain Anticoagulation certification.
Special Skills: Possess ability to work independently/autonomously and interdependently with other health care professionals. Have extensive patient assessment skills using diagnostic methods and instruments and passes ability to develop appropriate plan of care, modifying as indicated. Possess effective communication skills and interpersonal skills with patients, families and members of health care team.
External applicants: to be considered for this position please upload a letter of interest and 2-3 letters of reference with your online application.
Mayo Clinic employees are asked to upload their last 3 performance appraisals with their online application.
License or certification
BLS certification and obtain Anticoagulation certification within first 6 months of employment.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
|Monday - Friday, approximately 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., plus after hours call according to current rotation.|
Mankato is one of the largest cities in southern MN and has earned several livability awards. Mankato's economic growth leads Minnesota and is among the top in the nation. The city has a contiguous population area of 96,740 and 1.6 million people live within 60 miles of Mankato. Greater Mankato is centrally located in south central Minnesota, nestled in the scenic beauty of the Minnesota River Valley, with convenient access to Minneapolis-St. Paul just one hour away.
Nurse Practitioner & Physician Assistant
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
Mayo Clinic is an equal opportunity educator and employer (including veterans and persons with disabilities).