Hospice & Palliative Medicine
Why Mayo Clinic
You are invited to partner with the nation’s best hospital (U.S. News & World Report 2019-2020), ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. Practicing at Mayo Clinic provides a rewarding career that promotes excellence in patient-centered care. You can thrive in an environment that supports innovation and has a wealth of resources available to you – including an integrated EMR and collaboration with top specialists – to give your patients the quality of care you want to achieve.
The Department of Hospice and Palliative Medicine is undertaking a search for a physician to join a well-established and highly-respected practice. Currently, the team is comprised of 3 physicians and 3 Advanced Practice Providers along with dedicated social work, nursing, and chaplain support. This opening is to replace a retiring hospice physician who is phasing out of full-time practice. This position will involve a varied practice with rotation of inpatient palliative consults, hospice coverage, and anticipated future initiation of outpatient clinic.
We offer a community practice with strong connection to the Mayo Clinic enterprise and leadership committed to the long-term success of the Hospice and Palliative Medicine Department. The position offers potential to take on leadership/development role for the program.
- Coordinate with referring physician, the acute care team, and other involved providers to contribute to the patient’s plan of care.
- Consult with the patient and their loved ones to help delineate their goals of care.
- Assist in the development of clinical practice guidelines/standards in support of quality palliative medicine.
- Promotes collaborative relationships between medicine, nursing, and other healthcare professionals to ensure whole person care.
- Optimize symptom control (pain, nausea, dyspnea, etc).
- Educate patients and family to promote understanding of underlying disease process and expected future course of the illness.
- Assist actively dying patient and their families in preparing for life closure
- Educate and mentor staff/students/medical residents.
License or certification
Candidates must be board certified or eligible and fellowship trained in Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Interest in Hospice preferred. Must currently possess or obtain DEA upon hire, and must have a current license to practice in the State of Minnesota or obtain upon hire.
Mankato is one of the largest cities in southern MN and has earned several livability awards. Mankato's economic growth leads Minnesota and is among the top in the nation. The city has a contiguous population area of 96,740 and 1.6 million people live within 60 miles of Mankato. Greater Mankato is centrally located in south central Minnesota, nestled in the scenic beauty of the Minnesota River Valley, with convenient access to Minneapolis-St. Paul just one hour away.
Physicians & Scientists
All Physicians Specialties
Hospice & Palliative
Job posting number
Jennell Prentice Endrizzi
Equal opportunity employer
Mayo Clinic is an equal opportunity educator and employer (including veterans and persons with disabilities).