Why Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is the nation's best hospital (U.S. News & World Report, 2020-2021) and ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. We have a vast array of opportunities ranging from Nursing, Clinical, to Finance, IT, Administrative, Research and Support Services to name a few. Across all locations, you’ll find career opportunities that support diversity, equity and inclusion. At Mayo Clinic, we invest in you with opportunities for growth and development and our benefits and compensation package are highly competitive. We invite you to be a part of our team where you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and most importantly, a life-changing career!
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
This is a full time remote position within the United States.
This position is expected to focus on two areas:
A potential candidate considered for this position will possess the following qualities:
- Security and compliance polices via Policy as Code which harden assets created via Infrastructure as Code in the Cloud environment
- Security embedded into the software development lifecycle, utilizing SAST, DAST, and Software Composition Analysis for Mayo Clinic’s on-prem, cloud, and mobile software.
The Information Security Senior Engineer is results oriented, multi-disciplined, and comfortable in implementing system security solutions in multi-vendor environments and acts as an information security liaison to various business units and the information technology department to assist with the security design, consultation, and technology implementation for various Mayo Clinic projects and initiatives.
- Proficient in coding development
- Experience with Policy as Code and/or Infrastructure as Code
- Able to provide good customer support to software developers as they integrate security tools into Dev Ops, with a strong understanding of DevSecOps, CI/CD, and software delivery pipelines
The incumbent also assists system users relative to information systems security matters and undertakes complex projects requiring additional specialized technical knowledge. Specifically, the Information Security Senior Engineer is knowledgeable, proficient, and experienced in:
• Working with business partners within the department to achieve organizational and OIS goals
• Developing required competencies by mastering fundamental tasks
• Independently analyzing technology security posture and appropriate use of security defenses
• Matching technical solutions with business requirements and then designing and implementing them;
• Self-directed software development, testing, support/problem solving, and overall technology administration;
• Organizational procedures such as the system development life-cycle;
• Use of defensive measures and information to identify, analyze and report security events;
• Researching and understanding pertinent information technology laws, policies and procedures
• Establishing timelines and delivery of requirements
• Applying IT-related laws and policies, and providing IT-related guidance throughout the software acquisition lifecycle
• Collecting and analyzing information to identify vulnerabilities and potential for exploitation
• Managing and administering processes and tools that enable the organization to identify, document, and access intellectual capital and information content
• Executing duties governing hardware, software, and information system acquisition programs and other program management policies with minimal support
Mayo Clinic will not sponsor or transfer visas for this position.
Master’s degree with one (1) year experience or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or related major and a minimum two (2) years’ experience in the information security field required.
The Information Security Senior Engineer also requires the following skills/abilities.
• Understands the use and efficacy of information security tools, server configurations and controls with the ability to install, configure, test and operate them.
• Able to test, implement, deploy, maintain, review and administer the infrastructure hardware and software required to effectively secure the enterprise, protect data, identify and mitigate risks
• Ability to collect, process, preserve, analyze and present computer related evidence in support of network vulnerability mitigation and/or criminal, fraud, counterintelligence or law enforcement investigations.
• Provides advanced technical opinions/conclusions re. security tools, trends, and controls which are supported by documented evidence, based on multiple perspectives and leverage of a variety of resources
• Demonstrates a deep and broad knowledge of standard operating procedures, workflows and supporting technology across numerous critical user areas and an in-depth knowledge of multiple computing technologies either being actively used or of significant interest to Mayo; understands how systems fit into larger picture of technology at Mayo.
• Capacity to work independently and willingness to seek advice/assistance.
License or certification
Must have one of the following certifications (or equivalent) at time of hire. In lieu of certification at time of hire, candidate must pass the exam within two years and complete the certification process once years of service requirements of the certifying body have been met.
Required education, experience, and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The salary range every 2 weeks is approx. $3,964.80-$6,653.60 based on a full-time position.
Approximately 8am-4pm Monday-Friday with occasional off-hours work as needed.
Only if necessary.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
IT and Engineering
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.