The Information Security Senior Engineer is results oriented, multi-disciplined, and comfortable in implementing system security solutions in multi-vendor environments and acts as an information security liaison to various business units and the information technology department to assist with the security design, consultation, and technology implementation for various Mayo Clinic projects and initiatives.
The incumbent also assists system users relative to information systems security matters and undertakes complex projects requiring additional specialized technical knowledge. Specifically, the Information Security Senior Engineer is knowledgeable, proficient, and experienced in:
• Working with business partners within the department to achieve organizational and OIS goals
• Developing required competencies by mastering fundamental tasks
• Independently analyzing technology security posture and appropriate use of security defenses
• Matching technical solutions with business requirements and then designing and implementing them;
• Self-directed software development, testing, support/problem solving, and overall technology administration;
• Organizational procedures such as the system development life-cycle;
• Use of defensive measures and information to identify, analyze and report security events;
• Researching and understanding pertinent information technology laws, policies and procedures
• Establishing timelines and delivery of requirements
• Applying IT-related laws and policies, and providing IT-related guidance throughout the software acquisition lifecycle
• Collecting and analyzing information to identify vulnerabilities and potential for exploitation
• Managing and administering processes and tools that enable the organization to identify, document, and access intellectual capital and information content
• Executing duties governing hardware, software, and information system acquisition programs and other program management policies with minimal support
Master’s degree with one (1) year experience or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or related major and a minimum two (2) years’ experience in the information security field required.
Experience with deployment of a big data ecosystem and solving challenges in data ingestion, integration, storage, retrieval, visualization and analysis is highly desirable. Preference for skills in any of the following: flexible programming language (Python), large scale data processing packages, queuing packages, search databases, graph databases, big data architecture, and data modeling. Familiarity with data analytics to include data profiling, feature selection, and building and optimizing machine learning models. Candidates should understand project management and system development lifecycle best practices including documentation and version control systems. Knowledge in information security is desirable.
The Information Security Senior Engineer also requires the following skills/abilities.
• Understands the use and efficacy of information security tools, server configurations and controls with the ability to install, configure, test and operate them.
• Able to test, implement, deploy, maintain, review and administer the infrastructure hardware and software required to effectively secure the enterprise, protect data, identify and mitigate risks
• Ability to collect, process, preserve, analyze and present computer related evidence in support of network vulnerability mitigation and/or criminal, fraud, counterintelligence or law enforcement investigations.
• Provides advanced technical opinions/conclusions re. security tools, trends, and controls which are supported by documented evidence, based on multiple perspectives and leverage of a variety of resources
• Demonstrates a deep and broad knowledge of standard operating procedures, workflows and supporting technology across numerous critical user areas and an in-depth knowledge of multiple computing technologies either being actively used or of significant interest to Mayo; understands how systems fit into larger picture of technology at Mayo.
• Capacity to work independently and willingness to seek advice/assistance.
License or certification
Must have one of the following certifications (or equivalent) at time of hire. In lieu of certification at time of hire, candidate must pass the exam within two years and complete the certification process once years of service requirements of the certifying body have been met.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The minimum salary every 2 weeks is approx $4,242, based on a full-time position.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
IT and Engineering
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
Mayo Clinic is an equal opportunity educator and employer (including veterans and persons with disabilities).