Accepting applications Oct. 15 through Jan. 15
We invite you to explore the Summer III Nursing Externship, an employment experience for junior nursing students at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
The Summer III Nursing Externship offers a learning opportunity during which nursing students participate in direct patient care. The externship is offered annually and begins in June. Each summer, students from across the U.S. take part in the Summer III Nursing Externship.
During this 10-week externship, students have the unique opportunity to work alongside multiple RN clinical coaches to provide patient care in a team environment.
The Summer III Nursing Externship provides you with the opportunity to work alongside RN clinical coaches to experience nursing care at Mayo Clinic hospitals in their inpatient work areas.
These patient care areas are located on the Mayo Clinic campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
The Summer III Nursing Externship offers not only an educational work experience, but also opportunities to live, socialize and collaborate with other nursing students from around the country.
Rochester has much to offer — read more about things to do in our area.
Shared housing is available and partially subsidized by Mayo Clinic. When choosing the Mayo housing option, costs are automatically deducted from paychecks. Roommates, who are also enrolled in the externship, are assigned based on identified preferences.
- Walking or biking
- Mayo Clinic Campus shuttle bus
This year, Mayo Clinic is offering a housing option for Summer III Nursing Externship participants from across the country. 318 Commons is a nine-story coeducational apartment building which houses a total of 237 residents, most of which are typically University of Minnesota Rochester students. 318 Commons is located in downtown Rochester, Minnesota; just a few blocks from Mayo Clinic’s downtown campus and in walking distance to many restaurants, attractions, the Rochester YMCA, and the Rochester Civic Center!
- American Heart Association (title: BLS for Healthcare Providers)
- Red Cross (title: CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers)
- Military Training Network
You are eligible for the Summer III Nursing Externship at Mayo Clinic if you:
- Are enrolled in an accredited four-year baccalaureate nursing program as recognized by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN, formerly NLN) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), or enrolled in our affiliated two-year associate nursing program from Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC)
- Have completed two semesters or three quarters of clinical nursing experience prior to the start of the Summer III Nursing Externship
- Meet Mayo Clinic job-related health requirements
- Have a satisfactory academic record
- Are current in basic life support (BLS) for health care providers from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or Military Training Network (must have completed any within the last 12 months and remain current throughout the 10 weeks of employment)
Applications will be accepted from Oct. 15 through Jan. 15. Please search for “Summer III” on our Careers homepage.
You will be expected to provide these materials at the time you submit your application:
- Resume. Resumes should highlight educational background, cumulative GPA, employment history and volunteer activities, such as involvement within the community and with committees, student nurse associations, and professional organizations.
- Answers to essay questions. You will find the required essay questions embedded within the Summer III Nursing Externship job posting. Answer these questions in a Microsoft Word document before applying, then attach the document to the online profile when you submit your application.
- Proof of current BLS. A scanned copy of a current BLS card or certificate should be uploaded and attached to the online profile when submitting the application.
Any applications submitted without all of these required documents will be considered incomplete.
For more information, please contact:
Heather C. Miller
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905