The Nurse Residency Program at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is an accredited year-long professional development program that provides additional opportunities to newly licensed nurses. The Mayo Clinic in Rochester provides a supportive learning environment to enhance the transition from student nurse to competent nurse.
Program content is focused on development of skills in critical thinking and clinical leadership skills. The Nurse Residency Program is Mayo Clinic’s investment in you and your nursing professional development.
Highlights of the program include:
- Group discussions
- Transition support from peers and program leaders
- Active learning methods
All newly graduated registered nurses (RNs) and licensed practical nurses (LPNs) employed at Mayo Clinic in Rochester receive a comprehensive orientation that prepares them for practice within the nursing specialty environment. In addition to orientation, the Nurse Residency Program is a supportive education program that will help build clinical leadership and professional skills as well as provide supplemental transition support during the first year of employment. Nurse Residency content varies based on the assigned work area with specific content for nurses hired into the following specialties: Inpatient General Care, Inpatient Critical Care, Outpatient Ambulatory Care and Surgical Services. The curriculum for the Nurse Residency Program is based on the standards for Nurse Residency Programs by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
- Transition from an entry-level, advanced beginner nurse to competent nurse who provides safe, quality care
- Develop effective decision-making skills related to clinical judgment and performance
- Develop strategies to incorporate quality improvement and other evidence into practice
- Develop clinical leadership skills at the point of patient care
- Formulate an individual career plan that promotes a lifelong commitment to the profession of nursing
Eligible employees in the Nurse Residency Program must be:
- Newly licensed RNs or LPNs with less than 12 months of nursing experience hired into a benefit-eligible position (not a supplemental position)
*No application is required to join the program
Program cohorts start several times a year. Nurses will be assigned to a cohort according to the day employment begins at Mayo Clinic in Rochester.